Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Car insurance: Your stories

Young drivers are being hit the hardest by the increasing cost of car insurance.

Figures from the AA show 17 to 22 year-olds are paying 50% more than they were at the start of the year.

The AA is blaming the jump on the number of injury claims being made when young people are driving.

It also says the cost of driving is now largely unaffordable for many first time drivers.

Young men have seen the biggest price hike. Quotes for them now start, on average, around £2,000.

We took to the streets of Wolverhampton to speak to young drivers about how much they are forking out.

laire is an officer worker from Wolverhampton. She drives her blue Citroen Saxo to work.

"My insurance has just gone up by £250 to £750, even though the car is only worth £1,000! It's too expensive.

"I've been with the same insurance company for a while but I've got no choice but to shop around now. It's a pain.

"I've never had an accident, I just got a letter through the post to say it's going up. Everything is going up in cost these days and no one can afford it. I'm not happy."

Sinny is 19. He drives a Seat Leon and loves it.

"I couldn't afford to pay for my insurance, but I'm the only one who drives in my family, so my dad pays for it.

''It costs about £4,000 I think. There's no way I could afford it - I work in a chocolate factory in Telford. I've got a lot to thank him for.

''I had an accident and it was my fault - I was distracted talking to friends in the car - so I can understand why my insurance costs so much in a way."

Lee is 23. He manages a flooring business. He drives a Vauxhall Astra and pays £2,700 for his car insurance.

"It's so expensive. I got caught driving with no insurance in the past so have six points on my licence. All I can do is pay for my car now.

''I've had to stop going out because I need that money to stay on the road. A few less pints and a bit more PlayStation for me!

"I have had three years of regret, but I've learnt my lesson the expensive way.

"I do understand why it costs less for girls - but I think it's mainly the teenagers who take the risks and have crashes... It's not fair we still have to pay so much as we get older.

''My car's like a woman - I spend too much money on her!"
Bookmark with

brought you by http://www.bbc.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment